At Colonie EMS we have both volunteer and career opportunities. We provide EMT training, orientation, continuing education and a vast spectrum of specialty rescue training to all of our people.
How to Join
To join our team, both volunteer and career applicants must
- Complete the Civil Service Application form and file with out town’s Civil Service department. You will receive an acknowledgment and be graded by Civil Service on the background and experience submitted.
- At least once a year we will hold an entry Physical Agility Test (P.A.T.) to ensure all of our people are capable of performing minimum physical requirements. This is typically held in the Spring and the Civil Service department will notify active applicants in writing of the dates.
- After successful completion of the P.A.T. there will be an in person interview panel.
About the Physical Ability Test (P.A.T.)
This entry P.A.T. includes:
- Carry 75lbs of primary care equipment up and down two flights of stairs.
- Dragging a weighted manikin 75 feet
- 2 Minutes of continuous CPR / Chest Compressions
- Upper body strength station lifting a weighted manikin.
- Barbell carry of 120lbs simulating a stretcher carry and walking backwards 75 feet
- Climbing through a 24″ culvert pipe (simulating a confined space)
- Climbing a ladder (you will be wearing our safety equipment and on a belay rope)
- Cardiac arrest management station (ACLS for ALS providers and BCLS for BLS providers)
Announcements & Applications
Online Civil Service and Volunteer Application
Continuous Recruitment Exam Announcements (Updates coming soon)
Other resources and frequently asked questions can be found at
the Town’s Civil Service website.
Civil Service Dept: Phone: (518)783-2721 Fax: (518)783-2802
E-Mail: Visit Civil Service Website to email
To provide the best service, please provide full name, address, and phone number in your e-mail message.